|sent from: London, UK. destination: Philadelphia, PA, USA|
– I’m almost done, only two or three more weeks left on the film
– What is it you’re working on again?
– It’s called “Gravity”
– I don’t know that one. What’s it about?
– It’s umm.. I wish I had a trailer.. it’s set in space, in low-earth orbit.
– I don’t like sci-fi stuff
– No, no it’s not like that. It’s kind of an adventure/thriller. It’s exciting. It’s got George Clooney and Sandra Bullock in it.
– Oh. Not a fan, really. Who else is in it?
– Um. Can’t really say.
– What are they like? You must get to meet them right? That’s got to be a perk of the job, meeting the stars.
– No, I just do the special effects afterwards. It’s not that exciting. We make all the space bits, you know, cos they couldn’t make the film in space.
– Why not make it in space? I see documentaries in space all the time. Ooh you know who I like? Tom Hanks. Why isn’t he in your space film?
– No. Umm. He’s not in this one. You just can’t make this film in space. It’s just not feasible.
– So what bit did you do?
– I made the spacesuits for the actors
– Real ones? I thought you said you didn’t meet them.
– No, yes, I mean, digital spacesuits. I didn’t actually make them, that was someone else, I just made them look like they were moving. It’s hard to explain. You’ll understand when you see it.
– When’s it coming out? Sounds a bit boring to be honest.
– I don’t know when it’s coming out. 2013 sometime. But it’s not boring. The guy that made it, the director, he’s great, Alfonso Cuaron.
– I don’t watch foreign films
– No, he makes English films too. Umm, like Children of Men? A Little Princess? No? Ok, how about Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban?
– Ooh Harry Potter. We saw the last one I think. [off] Harry Potter films? We’ve seen them yes?
– [off] Yeah, the last one. And the books. Which one?
– The Prisoner of Azkaban. It was the third one, perhaps the best one. Anyway he did great.
– So what were you doing last year?
– Same film
– oh goodness they do take a while don’t they? My cousin’s nephew, he plays with computers, just like you. Can he come work with you?
– Um, no.
– It’s amazing what these computers can do these days isn’t it?
– It’s not.. computers can’t.. yes, yes it’s amazing.